German chemical and consumer goods company Henkel is expanding its brand portfolio with the acquisition of a 75% stake in Invincible Brands Holding, a D2C and social commerce specialist based in Berlin. Invincible Brands Holding owns popular beauty and personal care brands HelloBody, Banana Beauty, and Mermaid+Me. This strategic move not only increases Henkel’s presence in the D2C beauty market but also enhances its digital and social marketing capabilities, including data analysis and fast-track innovation.

HelloBody, Banana Beauty, and Mermaid+Me are known for their clean and sustainable beauty products, which appeal to European consumers. Together, these brands generated €100 million in revenue from June 2019 to June 2020. HelloBody has a strong social media following and aims to establish partnerships with influencers. Their product range includes skincare, haircare, and body care products. Mermaid+Me specializes in haircare, while Banana Beauty caters to consumers seeking high-quality makeup.

Henkel believes that acquiring a majority stake in Invincible Brands Holding will allow them to leverage the strengths of these brands to expand their presence in the social commerce market. With over 1.5 million active customers, these brands offer significant growth potential in this segment. Jens-Martin Schwärzler, the executive vice-president of Henkel’s Beauty Care business, expressed confidence in the acquisition, stating that it will strengthen Henkel’s portfolio by incorporating fast-growing premium brands in attractive categories. Furthermore, the direct interaction with consumers will provide valuable insights to drive meaningful innovations throughout Henkel’s retail business.

While Henkel acquires a 75% stake, the remaining 25% will continue to be held by Invincible Brands Holding’s founders, Bjoern Keune and Gennadi Tschernow, as well as private equity fund Capital D. The founders and current management team of the brands will continue to lead the business. In 2019, Henkel’s Beauty Care division generated €3.87 billion in revenue, with a slight decrease of 1.8% compared to the previous year. However, Henkel is optimistic that the addition of these premium brands will drive growth and success in the beauty and personal care market.

Useful Links:
Henkel Official Website
Invincible Brands Holding Official Website