Italian investment firm Style Capital has made a significant move by acquiring a majority stake in Australian women’s ready-to-wear brand Zimmermann. Known for their successful investments in Italian labels like Twin-Set and Golden Goose, Style Capital has set their sights on Zimmermann and its fresh, sexy, and bohemian aesthetic.

Negotiations between Style Capital and Zimmermann had been ongoing for some time but were temporarily halted due to the Covid-19 pandemic. However, the deal has now been finalized, according to Style Capital’s CEO, Roberta Benaglia. Style Capital has acquired a 70% stake in Zimmermann, while the remaining 30% will remain with the Zimmermann family. The transaction is expected to be completed by the end of the year, although the specific cost has not been disclosed. Industry sources estimate that the brand’s value exceeds 300 million euros.

General Atlantic, an American investment firm that previously held a minority stake in Zimmermann since 2016, is now divesting from the business. Style Capital boasts an impressive portfolio, including Italian ready-to-wear brand Forte Forte, a 32% stake in MSGM by designer Massimo Giorgetti, and a 31.3% stake in Los Angeles-based denim and apparel brand Re/Done. With the addition of Zimmermann, Style Capital has further expanded its investment in brands with strong growth potential.

Founded in Sydney in 1991, Zimmermann has become one of the most prominent brands in Australian fashion. The label offers delicate and desirable pieces with exclusive prints and details that capture the essence of sunny, carefree vacations. The brand is led by designer Nicky Zimmermann and her sister, Simone, who oversees the company’s operations. Nicky’s passion for fashion, influenced by her milliner grandmother, led her to start designing clothes for her friends and selling dresses at markets.

Zimmermann gained widespread popularity when it introduced a collection of trendy and highly sought-after swimwear alongside its ready-to-wear line. By offering pieces in different lengths and styles, the brand appeals to a wide customer base, including both young girls and more mature women. In addition to swimwear and ready-to-wear, the brand has expanded its offering to include accessories, a children’s line, and men’s swimwear, creating a comprehensive brand universe.

Currently, Zimmermann products are sold through various retailers worldwide and the brand operates 19 company-owned stores in Australia, 13 boutiques in the U.S., and five boutiques in Europe. The European locations include Saint-Tropez, Paris, Milan, Capri, and London. The brand’s success has paved the way for further expansion, with plans to open two new stores in Cannes and Rome next year.

With Style Capital’s majority stake acquisition, Zimmermann is well-positioned for further growth both domestically and internationally. The investment firm’s track record in the fashion industry demonstrates their ability to support and drive the success of the brands they back. Zimmermann’s unique aesthetic and strong brand identity make it a promising addition to Style Capital’s portfolio. As the deal is finalized and the two entities work together, we can expect to see Zimmermann continue to thrive in the global fashion market.

Useful links:
1. Style Capital
2. Zimmermann